Thursday, December 15, 2005

An old friend

As I stood and watched a creature having problems keeping its eyes open
The sense of death filled the space between us.
Waiting for the moment to act, to end life.
I could not help but remember an old friend of mine.
How he was just lying there with only the strength to look around
With fear of not being able to move.
Wanting to, but to fail every time.
My eyes start to water; my mouth runs dry.
All I can remember is watching my old friends eyes,
Scared and unsure; trying to focus on something To give him courage.
I could not speak but wanted to say I would always love him,
To assure him that everything was going to be fine.
But still with the knowledge that he would soon be gone.
I awoke to find that he had gone, only to be seen with my inward eye.
Tears soon followed.
My eyes started to burn and I could feel the warmth of my tears
As they ran down my face and to the ground.
Why did he have to go I screamed to my soul?
My heart broken.
I still look at a photo of him and remember the times
where we shared each other’s company.
The warm and cold days of life;How fragile.
As I look at the photo my eyes well up;
And my tears once again hit the ground.
Forever to be missed by a family
who has lost a part of them.
I wrote this quite some time ago while remembering my dog Blaise who had to be put down on new years day this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home